Apple Maps; report an error on the map

90% of the time, Apple Maps works beautifully, locating restaurants and gas stations and navigating us to where we want to go.  The other 10% of the time, it brings us to a boarded-up establishment, or shows us wandering far from any road.

Still, I like Apple Maps a lot.  I just want it to be better!  So I looked into how to report errors in the map to Apple. 

An error report has to start with a pin.   A pin is an icon on the map that looks like a pushpin and marks a location.  Two ways to get a pin on the map are:

  • Search for something, like pizza.  A red pin will appear at every relevant location.

Or,

  • Touch a location on the map and hold your finger there for about a second.  A purple pin will appear.

In the first example, we were driving thru Coos Bay looking for a pizza restaurant.  I found one on Apple Maps and navigated us there; but it had gone out of business.  How to report this kind of error:

  • Touch the pin; Apple Maps displays a label for the pin.
  • Touch the “i” icon on the right end of the label.  Apple Maps displays information about the business.

am05SearchPin

  • In the bottom right corner of the information box, touch “Report a problem.”  Apple Maps displays the Report A Problem box.

am10spinfo

Touch “The place does not exist.”  (“Information is incorrect” leads to a form for correcting the address, phone number, etc. of the business; that’s not appropriate in this case.)  Touch Next.

am20spdtl

Touch “Location has closed.”  Touch Send.

am25spdtl

In the second example, we were driving down a service road looking for a freeway entrance.  Apple Maps showed the road dead-ended.  But we could see that it went on, and in minutes we were on the freeway.  How to report this kind of error:

  • Hold your finger on the map where the missing road should be, for about a second.  Apple Maps creates a purple pin there.
  • Make a note of anything shown on the map that you’ll want to refer to in your problem report.  You can’t shift the reporting boxes that will overlay the map; so anything they cover will be out of sight until after you send the problem report.
  • Touch the pin; Apple Maps displays a label for the pin.
  • Touch the “i” icon on the right end of the label.  Apple Maps displays (mostly blank) information about the location of the dropped pin.

am30dropPin

In the bottom right corner of the Dropped Pin box, touch “Report a problem.”

am35dpinfo

The choices in the Report a Problem box don’t apply to this case, so touch “My problem isn’t listed.” Touch Next.

am40dprpt

Write an explanation of what’s wrong with the map, referring to the information you noted earlier.  Touch Send.

am45dpdtl

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s