This game requires two or more consenting adults, and a Chinese restaurant. After dinner, everybody reads the papers in their fortune cookies aloud, the implicit suffix to each fortune being ” … in bed.” The resulting advice is generally practical, and often quite encouraging. I wonder whether the people who write these fortunes are in on the game. Here are some of my “keepers;”
- The skills you have gathered will one day come in handy.
- No one is happy who does not think himself so.
- There is a tendency to carry activities too far.
- Taking a chance at something new will pay off.
- Believe in your abilities; confidence will lead you on.
- Your short term goal will soon be realized.
- It would be wise to cut expectations in half.
- You have an ambitious nature and may make a name for yourself.
- You have a natural grace and great consideration for others.
- You will excel in something in which another failed.
- You have a yearning for perfection.
- A happy event awaits you.
- You will be pleasantly surprised by a close friend.
- You will soon meet a helpful person.
- There is a prospect of a thrilling time ahead for you.
- Today you will find something you have been looking for.
And a particular favorite of mine,
- Listen to the wisdom of the old.